[haiku-development] Re: Working on Haiku's Mail app

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 18:43:52 -0800

François Revol wrote:
Out of curiosity: why not just use UTF-8 and be done with it?
Because UTF-8 encoded email is not that widespread in Japan yet, so it is always safer to use ISO-2022-JP. If I am not mistaken,

Well if noone tries to use it then noone else will ;-)
(yeah I know it lacks some chars that japanese stole from the chinese in the first place anyway...)

It's not a problem with UTF-8, which in fact works well for the Japanese language AFAIK. I think it's more a matter that (some?) email clients and/or mail services (for example, Yahoo Japan) still use ISO-2022-JP as the default encoding, and there is little incentive for people to change.

Cheers,

Jorge/aka Koki