[haiku-development] Re: Working on Haiku's Mail app

  • From: "Alexander G. M. Smith" <agmsmith@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 08:02:09 -0500 EST

Jorge G. Mare wrote on Mon, 30 Nov 2009 11:33:33 -0800:
> When reading incoming emails, the ability to change the encoding is
> essential, as not all emails are always properly formatted, and forcing
> a different encoding is the only way to display such emails properly.
> But since this does not happen that often, moving it to a menu instead
> would not be much of an inconvenience.

Slashdot digests sometimes need manual intervention to get some
characters to show up, since the contents come from quite a few
different sources / encodings and the overall digest encoding only
matches some of them.

> When sending emails, this menu is actually very convenient [...]

I have mine defaulted to ASCII for sending.  When it complains about
invalid characters, I can either fix the character or switch to
UTF-8 or Latin-1.

So, it doesn't have to be there all the time, it could be a menu item
rather than a drop-down list for me.  But it has to be somewhere.

- Alex