[haiku-development] Re: Working on Haiku's Mail app

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 22:28:05 +0100

"Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> When sending emails, this menu is actually very convenient, as it
> allows
> you to set the encoding of the message to other than the default,
> something that can be very frequent if you write in two languages
> that
> require different encoding (this is not limited to only Japanese). In
> this scenario, I would prefer if the drop-down many stayed where it
> is,
> rather than have to dig into a menu.

Out of curiosity: why not just use UTF-8 and be done with it?

> In conclusion: if moving the drop-down menu out of sight solves some
> sort of problem, then I suppose the user could live with the move at
> the
> cost of some extra inconvenience. But if it's just being moved for
> cosmetic reasons, then I would be for keeping the menu where it is.

It's a bit of both - the "from" field is usually not visible completely
because of the encoding menu. And since the encoding/decoding isn't
really that useful for the general user, it would be a good candidate
to make more room for the "from" field which everyone uses.

Besides that, it could always be made an option, too, if enough
interest is there.

Bye,
   Axel.