[haiku-development] Re: The next release

  • From: "Earl Pottinger" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "earl_colby_pottinger@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 20:26:53 +0000 (UTC)

From: kallisti5 <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: haiku-development-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; Adrien Destugues
<pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2015 8:47 AM
Subject: [haiku-development] Re: The next release

homepage. But, can't we just add a "get a nightly build" link there?

I already did this quite some time ago.

On the download A4 page in the big green box at the top:

"Feeling adventurous?
You may want to take a look at the unstable nightly/development
downloads at the bottom<link> of this page."

Or link to the "discover haiku" distribution? There is no need for a
release to do that, and it would solve the problem just as well.

I don't think we should be linking to external distros unless we want to
go the OpenIndiana route which isn't a good idea.
(Haiku makes the base os, external parties make releases based on it)

I just tried it, and yes the links are there.
However, I understand how a new user who has never looked at Haiku closely
before could make this mistake.
From what I have seen on OSNews and Slashdot.org many people go to the home
page see "Alpha 4" and say to themselves "Oh, they still have not updated since
the last time I looked." and then just exit.
These people are probably users rather than developers so I don't know how hard
you want to keep them at present, but if you want their interest the home page
will have to say more than "Alpha 4".
Earl Colby Pottinger