[haiku-development] Re: The next release

  • From: Richie Nyhus-Smith <richienyhus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 02:40:19 +1200

Not all of the code in Haiku itself has copyright owned by Haiku, inc. In
my case, I assign copyright to Haiku, Inc. for code I wrote under contract,
but keep the copyright for everything else. If I worked on Haiku sources
under contrqct from someone else, they would get the copyright. I don't
have stats on that but I think it is the same for most other devs.

My point was that right now Haikungfu is as much part of the project as
fRiSS is.

When I said 'changing the copyright', I meant changing the copyright that
is displayed on the webapp rather than the copyright found in the code.

Alexander should still be credited when linking to the source code:
(Copyright 2014 - 2015 Haiku, Inc. — Haiku® and the HAIKU logo® are
registered trademarks of Haiku, Inc. Website code released under the GPLv3
by Alexander von Gluck IV.)

We should make a non-GSoC-specific version of our ideas page on the
website, maybe. And we could add this to it.
http://www.haiku-os.org/community/getting-involved could probably get
some updates as well.

I have to say I like how Ubuntu has organised their community portal (
http://community.ubuntu.com/), although I can't say the same about their
overall website design.

Clicking on developer under the Contribute section takes you to a new page,
which then asks you what sub category of development you want to help out
on. It provides links to pages that guide the reader on becoming an app
developer, a package maintainer, an UI developer or a core developer. The
other types of contributors have their own sub categories as well.

I had planned to reorganise the community portal, but have procrastinated
doing this, as doing this with Drupal 6 would not be an enjoyable
experience.
-
Richard.