[haiku-development] Re: The next release

  • From: "Adrien Destugues" <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2015 08:06:59 +0000

Hi,

8 avril 2015 09:23 "Richie Nyhus-Smith" <richienyhus@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit:

Hi all,

With the changes in circumstances which has arisen since it was decided to
jump to beta1, does it
still make sense to do this, or should we go back to aiming for an alpha for
the next release?

The idea was to have beta1 released in the 1st or 2nd quarter of this year,
which realistically is
not going to happen since we are already at the start of the 2nd quarter of
this year. I also doubt
a beta release will be ready by the end of this year, as there is no momentum
towards working on
the things we need to be 'fearure complete' for the beta phase.

The idea was, and still is, to have a beta release "when it's ready", as
defined by the tickets put into that milestone, and from then on, keep a
release branch from which R1 will be made, and a development branch for other
developments. The time estimates were a bit too optimistic, but that does not
change this plan.

I think it would be more acceptable to those following and donating to
Haiku's development for an
alpha to be released soon, than it is for a beta to be continuously promised
in a manner
reminiscent of vaporware. If it turns out that a beta release is only 8 to 10
months away, then it
would be better to have a short gap between an alpha5 and a beta1 release,
then it would be to have
no releases at all.

This assumes we can get an alpha5 out in less than 8 months. There are some
major problems and regressions in the current codebase (for example WebPositive
has a lot of bugs that weren't in alpha4, USB has some regressions (they are
being worked on), and our network drivers are a lot out of date), and more
importantly, we still don't have the infrastructure for doing a proper release
in terms of packages and repositories. This is what is really blocking beta1,
and it would block an alpha5 release the same way.

Without this solved, you may as well pick a random nightly and call it
"release". But we won't be able to offer the required level of support for it.

In other words, which tickets from the beta1 list do you think we cqn remove
for an alpha5?
https://dev.haiku-os.org/query?status=assigned&status=in-progress&status=reopened&status=new&group=status&milestone=R1%2Fbeta1

And, how much work is still needed to fix the remaining tickets? Probably not
significantly less than is needed for Beta1.

--
Adrien.