[haiku-development] Re: The next release

  • From: Ithamar Adema <ithamar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 18:30:40 +0200

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 4:28 PM, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Am 14/04/2015 um 16:04 schrieb kallisti5:

Any thoughts on going the Cyanogenmod route? Cyanogenmod has nightly
releases and "snapshot" releases. Snapshots are taken at a point in
time when code is "more stableish".

I think that sounds like a somewhat neat solution to our immediate lack of
a release.
I mean, they shouldn't be offered as anything close to a release, but it's
definitely less of a lottery than downloading a nightly.
Still, someone has to do the testing and choosing work, combined with
uploading/copying the thing on the server, and update the web site to point
to the latest release.

Does anyone have statistics on the downloads of the nightlies? Would it be
worth considering adding a little bit of intelligence there, like giving
people the opportunity to "star" nightlies? That would give some kind of
confidence in which nightlies might work, and which ones are really broken.

Ofcourse, if most of our active users are already using the package based
updating system, we should have an idea on how stable that is... I've seen
issues with unzip disappearing due to it being outsourced from the haiku
source tree and not being listed as dependency earlier, but no idea how
often things break....

We can still have slow releases (although indeed a PM release is overdue
imho), but giving users some level of confidence in downloading nightlies
might go a long way... and what better way then give the "community" the
chance to do it themselves....

Ithamar.