[haiku-development] Re: The next release

  • From: kallisti5 <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 08:25:58 -0500

On 2015-04-14 00:15, Adrien Destugues wrote:

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 08:42:04PM -0400, Andrew Hudson wrote:
I also think we should now revisit whether the next release is Alpha or Beta. It's been quite a long time since our last serious release discussion,
and since that time it is not clear to me that we have made any substantial progress towards resolving the package management issues.

If we are stalled on package management, I think that will keep pushing a Beta release out, right?. So the next best option is Alpha 5 release.

It is not that simple. Even if we decide to call the release "alpha", it
should still be a stable release. We can't pick a random nightly and
slap the "alpha" tag on it.

We have to make sure the package repository provided with the alpha is
useable. For the nightlies this is not a problem, as we can update the
repos with new packages as problems are found. For the releases, there
is a different maintenance plan where only the haikuports packages can
be updated (not the core haiku ones). And even there, we must take care
of not breaking anything (for example our current unzip package is
broken and will crash on some files). We should also make sure there are
no "dependency hell" problems, or packages available in the repos but
not installable because their dependencies were updated and there are
version constraint problems.

The current alpha release is useless at this point as it doesn't
include PM. (which will be the standard everyone needs to know going
forward)

At this point, I don't think anyone has the bandwidth to make a full
"perfect" alpha / beta release that walks and quacks like a final
release.

We can call the release alpha or beta, in eitrher case it will be the
first exposure of our package manager, and we want to make a good
impression with that. Shipping it in a "known broken" state is not a
good idea.

I still don't understand what is so horribly "known broken". (trac also
confirms 0 blockers that are PM related). Our packages do need rebuilt
and refreshed, but given you can install a nightly from a year ago and
continuously update the same installation through today... that's pretty
stable for nightly software :-)

As for alpha / beta "release" repositories... Lets just set them to current
by default and be done with it.

-- Alex