[haiku-development] Re: Key roles vs. key label in menus

  • From: Rimas Kudelis <rq@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2012 10:33:32 +0300

2012.04.07 21:22, John Scipione rašė:
#2 While Strg would work for German, it is difficult to find universal translations for abbreviations of Option and Command for all languages.

That's because such keys are nonexistant on typical keyboards, and where they do exist, they are marked as⌥ and ⌘ respectively. By the way, I saw a macbook at a shop a few days ago, on which the ⌥ key didn't even mention "Option" anymore. It had the symbol and small letters "Alt" instead.

In my opinion, showing nonexistant key labels is just as bad as showing symbols ◇ , ○ and ◻ – the user will not know which symbol or keycap represents the actual key either way. What Haiku does at the moment (showing Alt or Ctrl, depending on my settings) is the correct way to behave. Although perhaps the PC/Mac keycaps mode could be configurable.

Rimas