[haiku-development] Re: Key roles vs. key label in menus

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 10:45 AM, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 11/16/2011 09:20 PM, John Scipione wrote:
>>
>> We can use the PLACE OF INTEREST (0xe28c98) for B_COMMAND_KEY, OPTION
>> KEY (0xe28xaf) for B_OPTION_KEY, ^ for B_CONTROL_KEY (0x5e), UPWARDS
>> WHITE ARROW (0xe287a7) for B_SHIFT_KEY and UPWARDS WHITE ARROW FROM
>> BAR (0xe287aa) for B_CAPS_KEY.
>
> I'm not against translating them, but I think those symbols are strongly
> connotated with Apple. Using them would just look like we want to be like
> Apple, and that would certainly give the wrong impression.

I was afraid that this might be the case. We don't want to be Apple,
but we share some lineage with the same key role names whether we
names or symbols. However, I am open to suggestions of other Unicode
symbols to use instead of copying the ones from Apple.

> I don't particularly like it, therefore, but I'm a fan of having text instead
> of
> images in the UI anyway - why use a hard to decipher icon (you'd have to
> learn what they mean) when there is a simple 4 letter word that makes
> everything clear?

Because the 3 or 4 letter abbreviations aren't localized.

John Scipione