[haiku-development] Re: Key roles vs. key label in menus

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 15:58:04 -0500

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 3:33 PM, Adrien Destugues
<pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
>> We can use the PLACE OF INTEREST (0xe28c98) for B_COMMAND_KEY, OPTION
>> KEY (0xe28xaf) for B_OPTION_KEY, ^ for B_CONTROL_KEY (0x5e), UPWARDS
>> WHITE ARROW (0xe287a7) for B_SHIFT_KEY and UPWARDS WHITE ARROW FROM
>> BAR (0xe287aa) for B_CAPS_KEY.

Well, the reason that B_CONTROL_KEY uses a ^ character is because that
is what proceeds control characters in terminal like ^H. We could use
MODIFIER LETTER UP ARROWHEAD (0xcb84) (˄) to make it look a little
different or maybe INCREMENT (0xe28886) (∆) or maybe we could use
something generic like a bullet or a square. There are lots of unicode
symbols to choose from, look through Character Map and suggest
something you like.

We could use TELEPHONE LOCATION SIGN (0xe29c86) ✆ to harken back to
the days of yore when you would send control characters over a
terminal using a telephone line.

Suggest something.

John Scipione