[haiku-development] Re: Key roles vs. key label in menus

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 15:54:06 +0100

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 22:15:04 +0100 Axel Dörfler! wrote:
> > OTOH, I think not using bitmaps but characters instead would be
> > nice.
> > It's localizable and, even better, user customizable. People could
> > not
> > just drag the modifier symbols to the keys they want, but even
> > change
> > the symbols themselves. E.g. (may need bigger font size)
>
> I don't think this is something that should be configurable. Well,
> maybe
> in some text file, if someone really wants that, but it shouldn't
> really
> be part of the UI IMO.

I thought some more about it, and maybe I don't grasp the issue in its
full extend... :)

Now I'm of a different mind. Keep the symbols CTL, OPT, CMD and SHIFT
(or ⇧) and have them non-changeable, i.e. CMD + C is always "Copy to
clipboard", no matter on what key it's mapped (alt, ctrl, win...).

In the Keymap prefs, have those same symbols in a corner of the
modifier keys. Users can now drag&drop this "role description" to any
modifier key.

Additionally, the label of these modifier keys could be either editable
by the user or be localized in the localization process. In any case,
the menu shortcuts will always remain CTL, OPT, CMD. (notice "CTL" to
avoid confusion with the label "CTRL")

I made a mockup [1] (here still with "CTRL" as "role description"
because I copied the existing symbol)

Regards,
Humdinger

[1]