[haiku-development] Re: Key roles vs. key label in menus

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 3:11 PM, François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 05/04/2012 21:02, John Scipione wrote:
>>> Note there is also an ALTERNATIVE KEY SYMBOL U+2387 ⎇
>>
>> Yes, that is a good "alternative" :) Seriously, though, either works.
>
> I was thinking about ALT actually for this one (or command rather).
> But maybe it's not distinct enough from the OPTION symbol.

That is no good for command. The diamond is much more distinct. I
could see myself looking at that and saying to myself, is that option
or command? Which one is up again? Besides, the ⌥ and ⎇ both indicate
that there is an "Option", a fork in the road so to speak. So they are
only appropriate for the Option key role. Although either symbol works
just as well for that purpose. We could go with the Alternative rather
than Option so that we are different than Mac OS X if that is
important.

>>> Oh there is a HELM SYMBOL U+2388 ⎈ with alternative name as "control".
>>> Not very visual though.
>> I considered that, but, it looks like a spider web to me.
> Ditto.

Which is my spider web key again? :)

John Scipione