[haiku-development] Re: Key roles vs. key label in menus

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 15:20:16 -0500

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 4:20 AM, Siarzhuk Zharski <zharik@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear John,
>
> On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 17:13:55 -0500, John Scipione wrote:
>>
>> The debate is about whether the bitmaps in the menus should correspond
>> to the functions of the keys (aka key roles) or the label on the keys;
>> should the bitmaps for B_CONTROL, B_OPTION, and B_COMMAND correspond
>> to "CTRL", "OPT", and "CMD" or "CTRL", "WIN", and "ALT".
>
> OPT and CMD are like irregular verbs in English, they are significant part
> of the BeOS Culture. Sorry, I see no ways to agree with changing them to
> boring PC-izms. ;-)

I was thinking that if we are going to go the function route instead
of the key label route (which looks likely) maybe we use UTF-8
character symbols in the menu instead of bitmaps so that the menus
would be internationalized.

We can use the PLACE OF INTEREST (0xe28c98) for B_COMMAND_KEY, OPTION
KEY (0xe28xaf) for B_OPTION_KEY, ^ for B_CONTROL_KEY (0x5e), UPWARDS
WHITE ARROW (0xe287a7) for B_SHIFT_KEY and UPWARDS WHITE ARROW FROM
BAR (0xe287aa) for B_CAPS_KEY.

I don't think I can send unicode characters over email so you are
going to have to use your imagination a bit or look up the codes in
Character Map. Here are the characters below (might show up as
garbage):

⌘⌥^⇧⇪

This is basically what Mac OS X does. Since we are using the same key
names, why not use the same symbols as well? The main benefit is that
CMD, OPT, CTRL, SHIFT rely on English words where as the symbols
don't, so our menu shortcuts would be internationalized.

Just a though...

John Scipione