[haiku-development] Re: Key roles vs. key label in menus

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 18:16:43 +0100

Hi Ingo!

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 16:54:49 +0100 Ingo wrote:
> > In the Keymap prefs, have those same symbols in a corner of the
> > modifier keys. Users can now drag&drop this "role description" to
> > any
> > modifier key.
> >
> > Additionally, the label of these modifier keys could be either
> > editable
> > by the user or be localized in the localization process.
>
> I don't quite see why. Getting the key labels right seems quite a bit
> of work
> for virtually no benefit. The only place you'd see them at all would
> be
> Keymap. And as long as the selected layout resembles your actual
> keyboard,
> understanding which key is which should be trivial also without
> labels.

I think you're right. It's just something that stuck to my mind from
the whole discussion, that people are bent on having the labels match
their physical keyboard.

I'd be fine with just the "role description" on the keys. But those
should be the same bitmaps that appear as shortcuts in the menus, so
users immediatly see the connection.

Also, maybe we should put a little explanation into the Keymap panel
that tells people to press keys on their physical keyboard in order to
light up the corresponding keys on the screen. And the connection of
the modifier keys to shortcuts in menus.
I guess many don't really get what the keyboard graphic is all about
and just use the menu to pick their keymap (which is normally all you
need).

Regards,
Humdinger

      Deutsche Haiku News  -  Haiku Gazette