[haiku-development] Re: Checking consistency of used strings

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 08:22:54 -0800

Hi Ryan,

Ryan Leavengood wrote:
Also there is definitely a standard title case in American English,
and it is pretty much what was mentioned (capitalize first and last
word, and all major words.) Thousands of books and articles are
published each year using this case.

I have to say, I have worked for more than 20 years as an English-Spanish translator and for more than 10 years in marketing communications (mostly in the US), and I don't think I have ever come across this "capitalize first and last word plus all major words" title case style. Out of curiosity, specifically, what is a "major word" in this context?

Our problem of "what is title
case" can be solved by simply specifying that standard rule. The same
can be done for other languages. Defining our own title case rules is
just not an option.

I don't think we need to worry that much about languages other than English right now, as they will be dealt with by the respective translation/localization groups, and only if the title case concept exists for any given language (I know that it does not in Spanish and Japanese, for example).

Cheers!

Jorge/aka Koki