[haiku-development] Re: Checking consistency of used strings

-- Richie Nyhus, on Wed, 2 Dec 2009 15:47:00 +1300:
> What about changing the rule from "capitalise the first and last
> word"
> to rather the capitalisation of all words, except for those that are
> internal closed-class words?

Had to look that up (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed_class).

From a recent mail (slightly altered):

1 -  First and last word: always cap.
2 -  2 words: always cap.
3 -  3+ words in menus/labels/buttons: 1st, last and nouns cap. All
other ("closed class") lowercase.
4 -  Normal English sentence style for radio/checkbox/dialog if it's a
complete sentence. "Menu-style" 2/3 word catchwords still abide rule 1-
3. 4/5+ words should be formulated as sentence.

I think, we have this covered with point 3. "Closed class" is
practically all non-nouns/names.

> The start case in "Tracker Always First" and "Expand New
> Applications"
> seems wrong; doubly  so when juxtaposed next to "Always on Top" and
> "Click to Activate", both of whom use a different case style to the
> former two using the start case.

According to our rule above, it would be "Tracker always First" and
"Expand new Applications".
There'll always be some examples that seem awkward. But if consistency
demands to set up a rule and stick to it.

> Although it will be interesting to hear what those that are native US
> English speakers have to say on this matter.

Yeah, and then have them battle it out with the Brits. :)

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de