[haiku-development] Re: Checking consistency of used strings

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 15:33:37 +0100

-- Jorge G. Mare, on Mon, 30 Nov 2009 12:12:20 -0800:
> Humdinger wrote:
> > At the moment it looks like Haiku pretty much emulates Apple's HIG
> > (http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/AppleHIGuidelines/XHIGText/XHIGText.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP30000365-TPXREF106)
> > es/XHIGText/XHIGText.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP30000365-TPXREF106)> >
> > es/XHIGText/XHIGText.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP30000365-TPXREF106)
> >

> I am having a hard time trying to equate what the Haiku HIG says to
> the
> capitalization table of the Apple HIG. The Apple HIG is very specific
> as
> to what to use for each GUI element, where the Haiku HIG lacks that
> specificity and can leave a lot of room for individual
> interpretation;
> to me, that's a fundamental difference (maybe it's just me).

Yes, but it all boils down to either "title" or "sentence"
capitalization. And Apple, too, uses "title" everywhere but, sentences
in dialogs and longer options for e.g. radio buttons. (What Ryan said
about more than 4/5 words applies here.)

> > I'm don't care awfully much on the outcome, as long as it's
> > consistent.
> > It may be a good idea, however, not to dismiss what years of
> > professional research of a successful billion dollar company came
> > up
> > with.
> >
> I am all for consistency too, and using the Apple HIG table as a
> basis
> for this particular area of our HIG would work IMO.

Right. Consistency is the major issue. The rest is much a matter of
taste and could be discussed until the bovines return...

> > What about menus and menu items, buttons? Title case, right?
> >

> If I had to be honest, from a linguistic point of view, it is really
> strange that title case is used for all menu entries indistinctively.
> When the menu entry is used to open a window, then it makes sense to
> use
> title case, as the menu label shows the title of the window that it
> will
> open. But for menu entries like "Paste Without Formatting," I have a
> hard time justifying the use title case. I do realize that it would
> be
> easier to apply the title case across the board rather than
> selectively,
> so maybe that's the way to do. Maybe I am looking at this the wrong
> way... :)

No. I feel the same. I'd write "Forward without Attachments"

So:
 * Last word: always cap.
 * 2 words: always cap.
 * 3+ words in menus/labels/buttons: 1st, last and nouns cap.
to/from/without/etc lowercase.
 * Normal English sentence style for radio/checkbox/dialog text. 4/5+
words should be formulated as sentence.

> BTW, as noted by others on this thread, anything in the HIG that is
> intrinsically related to language should be locale-specific. That is
> given. Perhaps a sentence to that effect could be added to the
> capitalization section?

Right.

Thanks!
Regards,