[haiku-development] Re: Checking consistency of used strings

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 17:45:15 +0100

-- Jorge G. Mare, on Tue, 01 Dec 2009 08:13:02 -0800:

> > No. I feel the same. I'd write "Forward without Attachments"
> >

> This would be very strange and incorrect use of capitalization from a
> grammar POV, and that's the kind of use that I think we need to
> avoid.
---snip
> Capitalization on the basis of the number of words or because the
> word
> is the last one does not make any sense to me, and I don't see why we
> should apply such criteria.

Well, that's in the Apple HIG and in our current (inofficial) HIG.

> IMHNSHO, this is incorrect capitalization
> which nobody would use on printed text, and I can't find a reason or
> logic why it should be used on a GUI.

Maybe because in 3+ word menus/buttons the first and last word tend to
be the important ones, I dunno. See "Resize to Fit", "Save as Draft",
"Reply to All", "Tracker always First", "Expand new Applications",
"Always on Top", "Click to Activate"...

> If I am not wrong, in English one capitalizes proper nouns, names and
> titles (native speakers in the know, please jump in to confirm or
> deny).

I'd say so. Add to that from the Apple HIG and we're pretty much there:
"In title style, always capitalize the first and last word, even if it
is an article, a conjunction, or a preposition of four or fewer
letters."

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de