[haiku-development] Re: Checking consistency of used strings

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 16:21:27 -0800

Hi Stippi!

Stephan Assmus wrote:
I absolutely follow your reasoning with regard to what should be considered "title case".

What I still have a problem with is "using sentence case in GUI elements other than those that act as title". I am not talking about places like checkboxes that are labeled with a sentence or could be worded as a sentence. But many GUI labels refer to functions. And what I think happens is that the GUI element is acting as a title for the function. It is "labeled". As such, I think "title case" may still make sense in GUI elements other than the obvious title-esque elements, like menu items and buttons. This is especially true when the label is very short to save space. Some functions may sound like a sentence (Check mail!). But the punctuation is usually missing and my gut feeling is that "Check Mail" is a label/title for the function of the program rather than the sencence "Check mail!" as in a command to the computer.

Hmmm... That's perhaps the view of the person who is too aware of the underlying code and/or function, but I doubt it is relevant to the end user; after all, one of the key roles of a GUI is to be layer of abstraction that isolates the user from the technical complexities and idiosyncrasies of the program for the sake of intuitiveness.

With regards to the specific case that you mention, I really don't see the problem with having a [Check mail] button or menu; linguistically, it is the correct case (even without the punctuation) and it conveys the message as well.

If you look at, say, the Deskbar preference...

http://haikuzone.net/files/2009-12-02_deskbar-pref.png

...all the text is in title case. This is very strange from a language point of view. It is correct to use title case for the frame titles, but I find it hard to justify using title case in all those check box labels and the [Edit Menu...] button, as they don't fit the definition of title; even if these labels may not be full sentences, they are not titles either, so normal case should be used instead IMO.

Interestingly, when if you look at web apps such as Gmail or other Google apps, for the most part they seem to follow the same criteria as mine, and normal case is used throughout their interfaces in check box and radio labels (both short and long), buttons, drop-down lists, and even menus; this is so much more natural!

Anyway, trying to give some food for thought from a different perspective, all under the usual FWIW and IMHO disclaimers. :)

Cheers!

Jorge/aka Koki