[haiku-development] Re: Checking consistency of used strings

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 11:05:30 -0800

Hallo Joachim,

Humdinger wrote:
2. Capitalization
Does everyone agree on the definition in the HIG at
http://factory.haiku-os.org/documentation/HIG/ch06s04.html:

<snip...>

The existing rules lend themselves to capitalizing a lot of text labels that IMO do not equate to titles, and as a result in Haiku the use of title case has become excessive in the form of pervasive capitalization of field labels, drop-down box/list labels, radio button labels, and very awkward cases like in the E-mail settings applet where you have a label, field and drop-down list that reads like this:

Check every _10_ [Minutes]

To me, what we should ask ourselves is what equates to a title in a computer GUI, and apply title case to those elements only. Without giving it much thought, here is a (most probably incomplete) list of elements that would fall under this category:

- Title bars
- Tab sections
- Group boxes
- Frames labels
- Column headings

Other than that, all labels should use normal capitalization; that would be the natural thing IMO and what would also make interpreting the UI easier.

Cheers,

Jorge/aka Koki