[haiku-development] Re: Checking consistency of used strings

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 23:03:52 +0100

On 2009-12-01 at 20:34:11 [+0100], Rene Gollent <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 1:25 PM, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Capitalization is a linguistic concept, and linguistically this does
> > not make sense.
>
> I'd have to agree here...arbitrarily having a completely different set of
> capitalization rules for titles doesn't really make sense at best, and is
> at worst confusing since it obfuscates the usual meaning capital letters
> are used to convey. I can see how it wouldn't be much of a stretch when
> coming from a German background where every single noun is capitalized
> anyways, but in English there's no real practical reason to do this,
> especially not when it's as random as "capitalize the first and last
> word" and arbitrarily changes based on the length of the title.

If asked like that, I can also not provide a reason for these weird
capitalization rules. However, I still stumble over the fact that I found
them intuitive. There must be something to it, if it's even in the Apple
HIG... but again, I cannot come up with a good reason. Sometimes a good
indication if something is nonsense. ;-) But sometimes also an indication
that one is missing something crucial.

Best regards,
-Stephan