[haiku-development] Re: Checking consistency of used strings

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 03:35:13 -0500

I feel this may be quickly sliding into Bike Shed Territory (I hope
the irony of my using title case is not lost.)

Apple's HIG in this area seem pretty reasonable to me. I think menu
items are titles and should therefore use title case. Though I did
notice Chrome uses sentence case for its menus and frankly it looks
fine to me. But it would be much less work just to stick with title
case, since most Haiku apps already use that.

Also there is definitely a standard title case in American English,
and it is pretty much what was mentioned (capitalize first and last
word, and all major words.) Thousands of books and articles are
published each year using this case. Our problem of "what is title
case" can be solved by simply specifying that standard rule. The same
can be done for other languages. Defining our own title case rules is
just not an option.

Finally I think interface guidelines (and therefore interface
consistency) are more important than any coding guidelines because we
will have a lot more users than developers. So we should be strict
here and define rules. We can remove the subjective opinion element a
bit by just voting and letting the majority decide.

--
Regards,
Ryan