[haiku-development] Re: AltGr Key, key_map, and the US-International Keyboard

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 16:25:32 +0200

On 01.04.2012 14:52, Rimas Kudelis wrote:
You can even select a different keymap during installation, and the
international one should be much more helpful for most people.
Hardly... I would have to know which sequence to use for accented
characters, and I doubt many people would know that beforehand.

You might be mistaken about the target audience: It's called US-International for a reason.

However, I just had a look at the demographics of the US [1], and it looks like the majority there would probably prefer the standard US keymap, even though about 20% of that 80% might still use the International version to easily write German/French/Swedish/whatever characters.

So I guess we might want to revert that to the US standard keymap indeed (dunno why it's called American -- last I looked there were quite a few more states to America than the US).

Bye,
   Axel.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_United_States#Race_and_ethnicity