[haiku-development] Re: AltGr Key, key_map, and the US-International Keyboard

  • From: fano il primo <fanoilprimo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 10:30:10 +0200

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 9:52 AM, Stefano Ceccherini <
stefano.ceccherini@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 2012/4/2 fano il primo <fanoilprimo@xxxxxxxxx>:
> > But in Windows this works so why Haiku problems?
> > Why we want to continue to change keys behavior based on layouts? Windows
> > don't do this...
> >
> Because in windows (and linux) the shortcut key is CTRL, not ALT.
> Of course, this cause other problems, specifically in the Terminal,
> where the regular shortcuts don't work, and they are different (for
> example, in linux,  CTRL-C is the copy shortcut everywhere, except in
> the terminal, where it's CTRL-SHIFT-C. In windows, the copy/paste
> shortcuts are completely different in the terminal).

Yes but this not change that ALT and ALT GR are 2 different keys... they
seem similar, but they're not!

We can continue to use ALT for application shortcuts (ALT+c for copy), CTRL
for terminal (CTRL + c close the application), but we've to use the right
ALT as ALT GR only if it's labeled as is (if it's a labelled as ALT is the
same of the left ALT as expected, there's no ALT GR in that layout as
special characters are not existent!) and we've "Win" key  free... but I do
say it's not a good idea to use as "option" (== ALT GR) in US keyboard and
something else in other layout... give it a new role (super? meta?) and use
for system shortcuts *in all layots*, it seems pretty logical to me.

If you want simulate ALT GR in keyboard that have no one we could use CTRL
+ ALT as wikepedia suggest instead of using Win key... if we need really to
do this, it's a standard de facto at least:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt_gr

Best regards.
fano