[haiku-development] Re: AltGr Key, key_map, and the US-International Keyboard

  • From: "Ingo Weinhold" <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 18:05:47 +0200

Axel Dörfler wrote:
> On 01.04.2012 14:52, Rimas Kudelis wrote:
> >> You can even select a different keymap during installation, and the
> >> international one should be much more helpful for most people.
> > Hardly... I would have to know which sequence to use for accented
> > characters, and I doubt many people would know that beforehand.
>
> You might be mistaken about the target audience: It's called
> US-International for a reason.
>
> However, I just had a look at the demographics of the US [1], and it
> looks like the majority there would probably prefer the standard US
> keymap, even though about 20% of that 80% might still use the
> International version to easily write German/French/Swedish/whatever
> characters.
>
> So I guess we might want to revert that to the US standard keymap indeed

+1. In KDE the "USA"/"Default" variant is also the one without AltGr and dead
keys and IIRC the Windows setting didn't surprise me either.

> (dunno why it's called American -- last I looked there were quite a few
> more states to America than the US).

I believe that's just a somewhat incorrect German perception. The German
"Amerika" usually refers to the "double continent". In English you'd normally
use the plural for that purpose ("the Americas"), while "America" (at least
without any addition or context) would mainly refer to the USA (AFAIK the only
country that has "America" in its name). So the current name is probably just
fine.

That being said, I like the two-level (county + variant) organization KDE uses.
That would unclutter the list a bit, respectively avoid cluttering it as more
variants are being added.

CU, Ingo