[haiku-development] Re: Alpha-1 merging and status

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 15:57:31 -0700

Howdy,

Ingo Weinhold wrote:
> On 2009-09-08 at 22:04:56 [+0200], Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> regarding the supposed freeze of the image tomorrow... I just spoke to
>> Marcus on the phone and he would like to get some more ATA problems
>> resolved. With Axel and Ingo gone, it's quite a lot of work overall. I know
>> Oliver is looking into some Haiku regressions that surface in the Perl
>> tests... and will one week from tomorrow be enough for the website
>> migration? To me it seems Jorge has to shoulder quite a lot.
>>
>> From my perspective, the image is now in quite good shape. It was
>> definitely a good move to set a date and have everyone in bug-fixing mode.
>> But at the same time, freezing tomorrow seems to me like we are perhaps
>> rushing things a slight bit too much. What's the general feeling?
>>

> If the remaining ATA problems are considered serious enough (i.e. making
> Haiku unusable or badly usable on relatively many systems), postponing the
> release a few days is probably a good idea. If they aren't all too bad, I'd
> rather see the release be wrapped up, so that the focus can be shifted to
> drawing the roadmap to R1 and planning for the next release on the way.

Under the assumption that the official release is still 9/14, Niels and
I moved forward with the website upgrade and in fact already have the
website running on Drupal 6. FWIW, tomorrow at around this time, I will
disclose some URLs to the production installation for peer review of the
new/updated content.

> IMHO we should even reconsider requiring a package manager for R1 -- the
> last major missing R1 feature -- which would allow us to start the code
> consolidation for the R1 betas and thus the final release any day after the
> alpha release.

+1

Cheers,

Jorge/aka Koki