[haiku-development] Re: Alpha-1 merging and status

  • From: "Michael Lotz" <mmlr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 03:41:34

> Howdy,
>
> Stephan Assmus wrote:
> > Perfect. That's great news.
> >
> > How many days does the spreading of the final image to the mirrors
> > really
> > take? We could still try to aim for the 14th and only slip a little
> > if the
> > ATA fixes don't make it in time for spreading the image.
>
> I understand that we wanted to give time to address some of the ATA
> issues and I really don't care if we delay the release a few days (or
> even a week or two for that matter). But we can't just be sitting
> here
> in uncertainty waiting and waiting (we also have a live, if you know
> what I mean).
>
> So, is it too much to ask that a decision be made once and for all on
> firm release date?

I've been discussing with Marcus and he'd be OK with releasing the
alpha with the current ATA stack. I've added a section concerning ATA
and disabling DMA as a possible way to get around it to the release
notes wiki page.

Since I'm currently maintaining the r1alpha1 branch I have taken care
of merging the remaining bits. So far there is only one HDA diff I am
unsure about merging. It looks like it should be merged, but I wanted
to get feedback from Jerome first.

From my perspective we are good to go and I would really like to get
this alpha out on monday. The one thing that is open right now is the
source question regarding GPL. For Haiku we will provide a packed up
svn export of the alpha branch and buildtools that will be uploaded to
haiku-files. But we are also bundling GPL software in our optional
packages and we need to collect source packages for these as well.
Scott would probably be in the best position to provide these sources
as he built most of the packages.

Since most of the other core devs are unavailable right now I'm going
to simply take this decision over. There are no real showstoppers and
from talking to the others they all seem to pretty much agree with
this. So I say: we are still aming for the 14th as our release date.
Maybe it will wrap to the 15th if necessary, but that should be it
then.

I'm going to take the liberty to "freeze" the r1alpha1 branch later
today by tagging the final revision. The process from there on out is
to make an export of the branch and buildtools sources (Rene stepped up
to do so), build the final images (Matt's BOM should take care of that)
and then testing these again. Barring major problems they can then be
distributed to the mirrors (Urias?) and we should be good to go.

Regards
Michael