[haiku-development] Re: Alpha-1 merging and status

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 16:54:10 -0400

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 16:30, Jorge G. Mare<koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Stippi,
>
> Stephan Assmus wrote:

>> >From my perspective, the image is now in quite good shape. It was
>> definitely a good move to set a date and have everyone in bug-fixing mode.
>> But at the same time, freezing tomorrow seems to me like we are perhaps
>> rushing things a slight bit too much. What's the general feeling?
>>

> I am all for giving Marcus the time he would need to get the ATA stack
> in better shape. After all, I don't think a few more days (or even a
> couple or more of weeks for that matter) are a big deal in the context
> of the 8+ years that took us to get here.
>
> IOW, if a bit more time is needed to make alpha 1 a better release, then
> we should not be shy or ashamed to change the freeze/release date(s) IMO.

*if* the release were to be delayed, would anyone be willing to write
a quick news blurb to reinforce the reasons?
  (assuming such an article would even be desirable)
mainly to re-assure the public of 'yes we planned to release on
<date>, but for the benefit of users and developers, it has been
rescheduled for <new date>.  These are the issues being addressed
during this time : <issues>.'

--mmadia