[haiku-development] Re: Alpha-1 merging and status

  • From: "Michael Lotz" <mmlr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 16:00:32 +0200

> Hi all,
>
> > Log:
> > * Merged changesets r32903, r32926, r32957, r32959, r32967, r32986
> > and
> > r32987
> >   (all the CommandPipe and Installer changes).
> > * Merged changeset r32968 (Haiku Guide).
> > * Merged changesets r32969, r32983, r32984 and r32992
> > (OptionalPackages).
> > * Merged changeset r32995 (Installer links fixes).
> > * Merged changeset r32996 (unzipping of packages at install time)
> > * Updated OptionalPackages warnings about packages that still need
> > to be
> >   rebuilt.
>
> In my list of unmerged changesets, there are a few which I am not
> sure
> about:

I'm only going to comment on my stuff here.

> * r32935 was a change to the IOScheduler. It looks like a bugfix.
> Should it
> be merged?

It's not actually used in practice, so this can be left out.

> * A whole bunch of commits to the ATA stack were designed to fix
> bugs, but
> it seems they also introduced regressions. I would like some
> discussion
> and/or advice.

As far as I'm concerned, the ATA stack still works on my laptop where I
work most of the time now. It also fixes the boot delays that were
introduced earlier. So from my side they could be merged, although I
expect more of them to come still.

> * r32993 is a bugfix to BTextView. Looks like it can be merged.

I didn't merge them for fear of sideeffects. But it was definitely
broken before and seems to work fine now. I think it could be merged
without problems. As it is used by rather few applications I don't know
how important it really is though.

> * r32994 is a bugfix to the VM layer? Can it be merged?

It doesn't actually change anything, it just removes a superflous
assignment.

> I gave the current alpha image some testing (r32997). So far the only
> problems I see are these:
>
> * Tracker add-ons don't seem to work from the LiveCD. For example
> Zip-O-Matic does not work from the LiveCD, but it works from the
> harddisk
> install.

That's because the Tracker add-ons folder is not in the list of to be
mimeset folders. IMO it should simply be added.

> * The BeBook link on the desktop will fail to get the correct icon.
> But the
> Welcome link will get it after a long while.

That's part of the forced mimesetting. Both should get the correct
icon. Indeed the Desktop folder should probably be moved before other
folders in the mimesetting script so that they get icons earlier on.

If you want I can take care of the mimesetting script changes.

Regards
Michael