[openbeos-cdt] Re: Close window button

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 07:17:58 +0100

Hi there!

I think the look of the close button is a non-issue. If anyone mistakes
it with a checkbox, with "x" he will mistake it for a marked
checkbox... :)
Further decoration would mainly add noise to a widget that is pevalent
and constantly used without thought.

Is this an area where a user can go wrong more than one single time
after his very first Haiku session?
 * He wants to close an app.
 * Trained from every other OS, he looks for a widget in the tab.
 * He's smart and recognizes the size-related widget to the right:
takes the left one -> bingo
   Or he's not so smart, chooses blindly and at the latest from his
second try onwards gets it right.

That's another reason why there should always only be two widgets in
the tab: spacially separated left/right is much more muscle memory
friendly than having to discern symbols.

Putting up another minimize button, and maybe even another widget
deluging the poor user with options like making sticky, send to
workspace, change colour or whatever insanity, would rob us from this
simplicity.

Even I, experienced user that I am :), did have mouse-accidents in the
past where I clicked Windows' XP red-X-button to close instead of the
intended minimizer... Maybe the big fat red blob (+"X" will mark the
spot) attracts the mouse unconciously.

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de