[openbeos-cdt] Re: Close window button

  • From: Johan Aires Rastén <johan@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 07:52:46 +0100

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 8:35 PM, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> I'll stop posting on this topic. Obviously nobody reads what I write

(I read you :))

> Now with all that said, I just really like the square close button. It
> is just one of those pieces of BeOS that gives me a nice feeling
> inside. Obviously that isn't exactly logical or good interface design,
> but I think that still has some bearing on these sorts of decisions.
> Based on Meanwhile's email, he feels similarly. I imagine we aren't
> alone.

Well this is a good reason to keep it - To not alienate old BeOS /
Haiku users, who feel that the square is a part of Haiku's identity. I
also appreciate your honesty in admitting that this is why you prefer
the square instead of X.

IMHO Haiku could benefit from a somewhat "newbie friendly" default
look and feel, but with the option to easily switch to a "classic"
theme.

> A reasonable compromise might be to leave the current window decorator
> as it is, but define a close button that could be used by other
> applications that fits in well with the rest of Haiku. Maybe some
> variation of what Braden used for the window decorator in his
> mock-ups.

That could work. It wouldn't be optimal :D but I suppose it's not that
important. I just like discussing things because I believe every
single choice in UI design should be motivated. It's not like HCI is
an artform where it's up to the viewer to evaluate it's success or not
:) As said above, sometimes choosing form over function can of course
be accepted, Apple do it all the time and they're pretty successful.
I'm ok with it as long as it's done consciously.

//Johan