[openbeos-cdt] Re: Close window button

  • From: ". Meanwhile ." <meanwhile@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 18:12:22 -0500

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: "Johan Aires Rastén"
  To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Subject: [openbeos-cdt] Close window button
  Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 20:26:26 +0100

  I've been thinking a little about the square icon that closes a
  window
  (I can imagine you all go *sigh* here) and I think it's not as good
  as
  it could be.

  It's a button but it looks like a checkbox. Obviously people will
  learn pretty quick that it isn't a checkbox, but I don't think it's
  good design to use the same design for different kinds of widgets. It
  could become more of a problem if an application needs to use close
  buttons for something else than a window.

  I can't make any kind of connection between a square and "close", so
  to me it doesn't make much sense. Maybe someone initially thought it
  should represent "nothing" but an empty box could equally mean "new".
  It also looks a little like an open door.

  And "X" is kinda universally accepted as close. Not just talking
  about
  other OS:es but also interfaces on web pages, devices, etc. It's also
  easier to tell someone "click the x button" and it's not as ambiguous
  as "click the square button".

  //Johan

  The use of 'X', and '-'  for closing and minimizing a window are
  remnants from the very early days of GUI's.
  It seems to me in those days they just used letters for it out of
  necessity. Seems very outdated to still refer to that kind of a
  solution today (and maybe a bit geeky to hang on to it).
  In those other OS's there's a square and an 'X' used right alongside
  of it. This combination refers more to checkboxes than the always
  evidently graphical Haiku square in its distinctly seperate shaped
  and colored tab area. So, if you don't have the same 'checkbox
  association' with those other OS's, that only shows that you've
  gotten used to it. Which shows people can just as much or even more
  get used to the BeOS/Haiku solution. It's a cultural thing.

  Also: the combined two squares at the right side of a Haiku tab
  already neatly and graphically indicate minimize/maximize (cleverly
  done in one button instead of two). From that it's super easy to
  derive to any new user that the square on the left must be a -just as
  graphical- close window button.

  Meanwhile

--
Be Yourself @ mail.com!