[openbeos-cdt] Re: Close window button

  • From: Eddy Groen <eddyspeeder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 12:48:09 +0100

We can always go for Apple's approach; they removed the "X" on default, but
it shows up when you hover the three widgets in the window's top left. They
consciously did this to avoid clutter, but they do help remind the user
which button does what (along with the different colors, but the colors,
too, are absent whenever a window becomes inactive). That is my main problem
with even the subtle X in the mockups: it adds clutter. The other thing I
don't really like about it is that it makes the top left corner look
flattened.

2009/11/10 . Meanwhile . <meanwhile@xxxxxxxxxx>

> If you think people can't grasp even this slight level of abstractness,
> you're underestimating them.

Kudos to -Meanwhile-!

In Zeta, there have been themes that have replaced the square with just an X
(nothing more, nothing less). I liked those too. Again, they avoid clutter;
it's just two slanted lines intersecting. A square around them would be
unnecessary. Still, I always get a tingly feeling when I click inside the
square to close something. I like it more than clicking OSX's red circle. So
not out of minimalism and not out of tradition, but out of user-experience I
oppose the proposed change.

@Ryan: perhaps we need to add "leaf color" to the appearance panel? :-P
@Braden: I love the soft gradient Haiku menu
@Humdinger: just Google for "haptic device" for your force-feedback device -