[openbeos-cdt] Re: Close window button

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 00:27:16 -0500

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 6:26 PM, Braden Ewing <brewin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I agree with you that it's not much of an issue. Nevertheless, I made a
> mockup that attempts to address some of the design issues discussed over the
> last few days including the close button. I've added a very subtle X to the
> button. I've also added shadows, put check marks in the checkboxes to
> distinguish them from the close window button, and made the leaf green so it
> looks less like a feather. This is mostly a product of boredom, but I
> thought I might as well share it.

My thoughts:

- In general I like Haiku's close button as it is. But the subtle X
isn't too bad, though I might only have it shown on mouse over.
- I don't really like the white "glow" you added around the close and
zoom buttons. It just looks out of place.
- You didn't mention it but you added a "shine" affect to the tabs
too. As much of a cliché as they is becoming in GUIs and web
interfaces these days, I will admit it doesn't look too bad. But since
in general Haiku does not use that affect it looks a bit out of place.
- I prefer your shadows to the ones from Nicholas' mockup because they
are a bit closer to the Haiku icon shadows (though still not quite
perfect...but I don't know how good they would look if they were too
faithful to the icon shadow style.)
- I must admit I really like your green leaf. Though that shade of
green doesn't look like the one from the Haiku logo, and that would be
more appropriate. But I do like this shade. I also like the different
gradient (the original blue goes from dark to light downwards, where
yours goes from dark to light toward the right.) I don't know if
others would be willing to replace the blue leaf with your green one,
but I would certainly consider it for my own Haiku :)
- The checks on the checkboxes look fine, though I'd prefer if they
were a color, such as the blue from the current X's. Though the X's
are more faithful to BeOS and so I prefer them in general.

> The background in the last one is a Photoshopped picture of Haiku Valley on
> the island of Oahu. I saw a tv show about Interstate H-3 which goes through
> Haiku Valley and I thought it would make a cool background for Haiku R1.

I don't know about the "painting" technique as applied to that photo.
I think I would prefer the original photo. But neat idea nonetheless,
I'll have to add Haiku Valley to my list of places to visit some day
(the fact that it is in Hawaii doesn't hurt.)

--
Regards,
Ryan