[openbeos-cdt] Close window button

  • From: Johan Aires Rastén <johan@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 20:26:26 +0100

I've been thinking a little about the square icon that closes a window
(I can imagine you all go *sigh* here) and I think it's not as good as
it could be.

It's a button but it looks like a checkbox. Obviously people will
learn pretty quick that it isn't a checkbox, but I don't think it's
good design to use the same design for different kinds of widgets. It
could become more of a problem if an application needs to use close
buttons for something else than a window.

I can't make any kind of connection between a square and "close", so
to me it doesn't make much sense. Maybe someone initially thought it
should represent "nothing" but an empty box could equally mean "new".
It also looks a little like an open door.

And "X" is kinda universally accepted as close. Not just talking about
other OS:es but also interfaces on web pages, devices, etc. It's also
easier to tell someone "click the x button" and it's not as ambiguous
as "click the square button".