[geocentrism] Re: Malleus Maleficarum

  • From: "philip madsen" <pma15027@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "geocentrism list" <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 06:49:01 +1000

This was in my draft folder...  If I already posted, please delete..

What is the Catholic Church's position on the Malleus Maleficarum and the
Inquisition in general?

Neville

The Malleus Maleficarum[2](Latin for "The Hammer of Witches," or "Hexenhammer"
in German) is arguably the most famous medieval treatise on witches. It was
written in 1486 by Heinrich Kramer and Jacob Sprenger, and was first published
in Germany in 1487 [3]. It was the culmination of a long medieval tradition of
treatises on witchcraft, the most famous being the Formicarius by Johannes
Nider in 1435-1437 [4]. The main purpose of the Malleus was to systematically
refute all arguments against the reality of witchcraft, refute those who
expressed even the slightest skepticism about its reality, to prove that
witches were more often woman than men, and to educate magistrates on the
procedures that could find them out and convict them [5].

I tend towards the bit highlighted in red..  especially women being to blame..
after all Eve started us down the road to sin. The articles below of the
churches opinion, might not so bluntly support my opinion.

From the 1917 book, where modernism was not yet so open and brazen.

www.newadvent.org/cathen/08026a.htm  Inquisition

Inquisition
(Latin inquirere, to look to).

By this term is usually meant a special ecclesiastical institution for
combating or suppressing heresy. Its characteristic mark seems to be the
bestowal on special judges of judicial powers in matters of faith, and this by
supreme ecclesiastical authority, not temporal or for individual cases, but as
a universal and permanent office. Moderns experience difficulty in
understanding this institution, because they have, to no small extent, lost
sight of two facts.

On the one hand they have ceased to grasp religious belief as something
objective, as the gift of God, and therefore outside the realm of free private
judgment; on the other they no longer see in the Church a society perfect and
sovereign, based substantially on a pure and authentic Revelation, whose first
most important duty must naturally be to retain unsullied this original deposit
of faith. Before the religious revolution of the sixteenth century these views
were still common to all Christians; that orthodoxy should be maintained at any
cost seemed self-evident.

However, while the positive suppression of heresy by ecclesiastical and civil
authority in Christian society is as old as the Church, the Inquisition as a
distinct ecclesiastical tribunal is of much later origin. Historically it is a
phase in the growth of ecclesiastical legislation, whose distinctive traits can
be fully understood only by a careful study of the conditions amid which it
grew up. Our subject may, therefore, be conveniently treated as follows:

  I. The Suppression of Heresy during the first twelve Christian centuries;
  II. The Suppression of Heresy by the Institution known as the Inquisition
under its several forms:
    (A) The Inquisition of the Middle Ages;
    (B) The Inquisition in Spain;
    (C) The Holy Office at Rome.

and supporting articles.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15674a.htm   Witchraft.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11542b.htm  mental pathology

  What is the Catholic Church's position on the Malleus Maleficarum and the
Inquisition in general?

  Free 3D Marine Aquarium Screensaver - Watch dolphins, sharks & orcas on your
desktop!

10:02 AM