[gameprogrammer] Re: (no subject)

  • From: Paul Smith <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Game Programmer List <gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 11:25:32 +0100

Without wishing to totally shoot you down, as far as I know no-one gets
recruited for ideas, not even Really Good Ideas (TM).

Basically, you've got two choices:

1)  You say you haven't got the computing skills - so learn them.  Take
a course, buy books, become the programmer you'd need to be to realise
your ideas.

2)  Pay someone to realise your ideas.  Yes, that's right, don't expect
someon to pay you for your ideas, expect to pay someone else to put your
ideas into practise.

Bear in mind that people have their own ideas that their busy
programming on, so you'd have to offer a decent wage and effectively set
up your own company to do 2).  Where does your money come from?  From
profits from selling the game of course!  Assuming there are any, and
that's the test of whether your "Ideas" are really good or merely second
rate.

In fact, I'd probably recommend option 3) - Combine options 1 and 2.
Learn programming so that you know just what it is possible to make a
computer do.  Then hire a team of programmers to work with you.

Or option 4) - Forget computer games, make it a board game instead.  No
programming needed, but still hard work!

Good luck!

PS - I'm willing to be hired as a game programmer for you if you have
clear enough documentation of your ideas, and I'm paid a salary of
£30,000 per year, with appropriate sick pay and holiday pay.