[gameprogrammer] Re: (no subject)

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 15:09:32 +0200

On Wednesday 16 May 2007, Webmaster wrote:
> The only thing I can think of is to load the animated gif as a
> series of images, then load and unload the images in succession to
> the object.
>
> Sounds slow to me...

Why? It's the only way to do it, basically - but the devil is in the
details. :-)

For maximum performance in this particular case, how about uploading
all frames as textures at loading time and then animate by just
selecting textures based on current time? Dead simple, and I don't
think it gets much faster than that, as long as you're not running
out of texture memory.

.-------  http://olofson.net - Games, SDL examples  -------.
|        http://zeespace.net - 2.5D rendering engine       |
|       http://audiality.org - Music/audio engine          |