[gameprogrammer] Re: (no subject)

  • From: Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 20:46:39 -0700

Others may not agree but I think if you jump straight into 3d it will be a
ton of work to even get the most basic stuff working.

IMO you should start with 2d, it's a lot simpler and it's still really cool
(and still plenty difficult!)

for 2d this book looks really promising:
http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Game-Development-Jonathan-Harbour/dp/1598633422/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238471071&sr=8-1

the description says "Get ready to build a complete, professional-quality 2D
game engine from start to finish! "Advanced 2D Game Development" is your
comprehensive guide to 2D game development using DirectX in the C++
programming language"

which sounds exactly like what you are lookin for, but in 2d instead of 3d.

The good news is if you learn how to make a 2d engine, a lot of what you
learn can be carried over into when you are ready to make a 3d engine.

What kind of game are you making, do you know yet?  Or just making a generic
game engine?