[gameprogrammer] Re: FPS with distributed servers

  • From: Nick Howes <csucew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2005 13:10:17 +0000

Lists wrote:

>Kevin Martinet wrote:
>

>>Blizzard is using that on World of Warcraft. The world is divide into 2 big
>>continents, each one having is own server.
>>
>Now with this model it sounds like they have a server that takes care of
>everything on one part of the world and another that takes care of
>everything on another part of the world. For example if you have a fight
>on one continent, the server hosting that island takes care of it, etc.
>
>I've never programmed anything like this before, but it seems to me it
>might be better to actually take a more OOP approach to things.
>
>For example:
>
>You have a terain server that takes care of all the terrain and GPS
>(location of all objects and toons) for the entire world. Then you can a
>colision detection server that takes care of ... well collision of
>objects and people and combat, an economy server that takes care of
>crafting, money and personal items, etc.

I would imagine that would create a massive amount of inter-server
communication, as all these things are related. This would probably end
up being really slow. Can you think of any advantage to a server model
like this? OOP is a good idea but you can do that within one server,
where they can communicate on the same computer which is obviously far
faster. The WoW system doesn't need much communication between servers
as it just needs to send a small amount of data whenever a player moves
from one continent to the other.