[gameprogrammer] Re: FPS with distributed servers

  • From: Infinite Possibilities <List@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2005 10:14:09 -0800

>I would imagine that would create a massive amount of inter-server
>communication, as all these things are related. This would probably end
>up being really slow. Can you think of any advantage to a server model
>like this? OOP is a good idea but you can do that within one server,
>where they can communicate on the same computer which is obviously far
>faster. The WoW system doesn't need much communication between servers
>as it just needs to send a small amount of data whenever a player moves
>from one continent to the other.

Well, from what I understand, most of the time you are working with
Server clusters anyway, so I don't think you would have any more inter
server communication that in the other model.

The main server advantage I was thinking of would be that you don't have
any server boundries. And if you balanced the load properly I think you
would see less lag as well. The reason I say this is that there would
never be a server were everyone was on that was trying to do everything
while your the other servers sit mosetly unused.

Anyone remember Star Wars: Galaxies? They used the WoW version and every
time I would go into a city that was actually bustling with players lag
would get horendus. Then there was all the server boundry bugs, pets
stop following you, various city problems.

Seems to me that if you separate the world in a different way, you could
relieve most of those problems. And with the Gigabit routers being very
affordable, relatively speaking, these days, I'm thinking the
inter-server comunication wouldn't be a problem. Hmmm.... May have to
play around with this, see if i can get something up and running as a
proof of concept. ;-)

Have Fun,
Darren

--
If one is to assume an Infinite Universe, one must also assume an Infinite
number of Possibilities.