[gameprogrammer] Re: FPS with distributed servers

  • From: Tom Wilson <t.wilson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 12:45:16 +0000

Daniel Cordeiro wrote:

>I've searched for Dawn of War on Google and found that this game is a
>strategy game, not a first-person shooter (FPS) game.

Yes, but it's a *real time* strategy game.  And it's just as fast and
furious as a FPS.

And supports up to 8 players (at the moment)  so in terms of technical
challenge I can't see much difference to FPS.

>Someone told me that Diablo II has distributed servers (but is not P2P) as
>well.
>
>I think (but I'm guessing) that strategies and RPG games are more
>easier to distribute the server processing because they can work
>better with more latency than FPS games.

Well it is real time remember.  If you ever played something like
Counter Strike (even source) you will know that when a high pinger
(>400) joins the server, everyone starts to lag and jerk about. Usually
the high pinger gets "asked" to go elsewhere.