[FMO] Re: Stardust@home experiences

  • From: "Matson, Robert" <ROBERT.D.MATSON@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: fmo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 18:33:36 -0700

Hi Dave,

> I just passed my 100th actual movie when I got bumped, but on my 99th
movie,
> I found a trail in the live data.

Wow, that's encouraging!  Perhaps the odds of finding a trail aren't quite
as
bad as they theorized!  (Either that, or you were extraordinarily lucky!)

> Now I don't know if I'm the first to have seen it or not (it is noted in
my list of
> submissions and was reviewed by 2 people), but I was excited nonetheless.

Guess that answers the question of whether images are uniquely reviewed by
people, or whether there is some redundancy built in.  Redundancy is wise;
after all, they'll have far more volunteers looking than are required by the
throughput of the data collection.

> I also got one of the inserted images - it looks like an old cruise ship
(similar
> to Titanic), but is severely pixelated, like it was enlarged from a very
small
> image.

Good -- at least I'm not alone.  Subliminal advertising?  ;-)  --R