[FMO] Stardust@home experiences

  • From: Marco Langbroek <marco.langbroek@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fmo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 16:35:13 +0200

Hi all,

Finally managed to log in to stardust@home last night.

The tutorial was very good, and I passed the test with zero mistakes.

Then got to real reviewing (ha, reviewing again at last!!). All in all I managed to do 71 real pictures plus 27 calibration images (all identified).

I had to re- login 4 times though to get so far, as several times I was bumped out with an error message (either "error from stardust" or "database error"). After each such event, it generally took some time before I was able to re-login again.

My experiences so far:

Positive:

* Review mechanism very easy

* it is fun!

Negative:

* website soooooo slow...(and I have a FAST connection...)

* too many website crashes necessitating re-login

* they throw in way too many calibration images. For the first hour or so over half of my images were calibration images, later about 1/3rd. That is too much, I found it very annoying.

Oddities:

* I had a number of movies where the sharp surface focus was way at the bottom of the bar. I reported them as "bad focus" but wonder whether these were actually movies with the image sequence the wrong way around.

* I had one movie where halfway the frames clearly were of another area.

Nevertheless, it is good to have something to do again. This is a good new alternative to the late FMO project.

- Marco

-----
Dr Marco Langbroek
Admin FMO Mailing List
e-mail: fmo-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

FMO Spacewatch Project page: http://fmo.lpl.arizona.edu/FMO_home/news.cfm
Private website http://home.wanadoo.nl/marco.langbroek
-----

** The FMO Mailinglist ** For information on the list, subscribe/unsubscribe info etc. go to http://home.wanadoo.nl/marco.langbroek/fmo.html ** Post messages to: fmo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ** list admin: Marco Langbroek, fmo-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ** Message archive: //www.freelists.org/archives/fmo/ ** ------------------------------------------------------------------------------