[duxhelp] Re: Compinline codes

  • From: "Jack Maartman" <jmaartman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:38:06 -0700

Hi:

As long as DBT, was, and it can, produce text in Unicode, this is fine.
Embossers have been able to cope with eight-dot braille for a long time.
The cardinal bump in the night, is that there has to be an assignment for
each eight-dot braille character, and there are more eight-dot braille
tables than Mc'donald's hamburghers.  The North American table, as one might
expect is radically different than all the rest.  This is not surprising if
one considers, that CBC is a hybrid of Abe Nemeth's code.  In my view,
without being able to count higher than one,  Nemeth code is the most
economical and clever system for representing math, in braille ever dreamed
of, making Abe the Louis Braille of the last century.

UEBC, has had to scrap the Nemeth Code, to make it more computer friendly,
but more importantly, to bring it into line with the plethora of European
codes out there, which were derived from a code, that arrived in 1929, when
Braille music assumed the form not much different than its current state.

Even assuming that we adopt UEBC wholesale, any good braille reader can
easily learn Nemeth Code. But with UEBC, you don't need much mark-up.  I
frankly, can't get along without it.  Sadly in my view, it is just one more
English braille code, so now there are three, or four if Braille grade
three, still has any status.

Jack