[duxhelp] Re: Compinline codes

  • From: "Peter Sullivan" <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 14:58:37 -0400

J. R.,

It's obvious that you are a braille reader, but not a transcriber.

I won't hazard a guess at how to summarize how to transcribe print to
braille.  Some people figure we should "follow the print".  Others figure we
should "follow the rules".  Often these overlap, but not always.  And the
rules change from country to country.

One rule which you may find interesting is that, here in North America (BANA
territory), one should *not* indicate emphasis when the emphasis is given
because the text is a header.  However, emphasis within a header should be
shown.  I suppose that, if most headers are bold, but one is bold and
italic, then one should show the italic.  But I don't pretend to know for
sure.

DBT "implements" this rule in the Word importer by ignoring bold and italic
when they are part of the definition of a paragraph style.  It works mostly
as people would expect, even though it isn't really a direct implementation
of the rule, which is meaning-oriented not file format oriented.

We try to make the product work for most cases in the way that most
transcribers will want.  In other words, we try to "follow the rules" more
than "follow the print".  But we don't have a pure approach at this either.