[duxhelp] Re: Compinline codes

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:37:49 +0100

Peter,

Good point about Hyperlinks - or say links that go
to Bookmarks - and whether or not both should be
in CBC.

Word thankfully allows a differentiation, so I
dare say it would be a ten minute coding wonder
for DBT.

HOWEVER - getting the world's Braille Authorities
to make a decision will probably take us to the
next Millennium, by which time it will probably be
Jacob's off-spring's problem anyway!  (smile)

Of Peter Sullivan
> Sent: 21 July 2004 15:38
> To: duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [duxhelp] Re: Compinline codes
>
> George,
>
> Importing Word'd hyperlink style to our own
hyperlink style
> might be more intuitive, but it wouldn't solve
the problem.

> Really, there are three problems.  We've thus
far only
> discussed one on this thread.
>
> We've discussed the fact that DBT indicates the
underlining
> of the hyperlink.  At this time, there is a code
change in
> review that will eliminate this behavior.  So
all should be
> put to bed on that front soon.
>
> We haven't discussed the fact that DBT always
uses the
> literary indicator for emphasis, even though it
is in CBC.
> I'm not sure that we'll fix this for this round.
>
> Nor have we discussed the fact that CBC isn't
always
> appropriate for hyperlinks.  Many hyperlinks are
written out
> as the text of the desination of the link -- a
URL -- which
> cries out for CBC.  However, it is also common
to have
> hyperlinks that aren't really CBC at all.  This
issue too is
> one that we will probably have to pass on fixing
for now.
> Indeed, because the task is not well-defined, I
wouldn't even
> know how to fix it to everybody's satisfaction.
We could do
> better, but there would always be some obvious
mistakes and
> other issues about which transcribers and users
would
> probably not come to agreement.

Of George Bell
> Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 6:22 PM
> To: duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [duxhelp] Re: Compinline codes
>
> OK.  What are the rules Internationally
regarding underlining
> Hyperlinks in computer braille?  Does ANY
country demand that
> they show the underlining?
> My humble guess is that it is neither required
nor wanted.

> Of course the simple answer might be for Duxbury
to create an
> actual Hyperlink Style in DBT, and map Word's
Hyperlink Style
> accordingly.
>
> This would perhaps make more sense anyway, and
be somewhat
> more intuitive to anyone looking at Styles in
DBT.

> George.

Of Christine Simpson
> Sent: 20 July 2004 23:05
> To: duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [duxhelp] Re: Compinline codes
>
> Susan, I understand what you are saying in
response to my
should need
> to be altering the Word hyperlink style.
>
> Surely, DBT can be programmed to ignore the
underlining of
> hyperlink text when the text is within DBT set
in the
> compinline codes.  By doing as you suggest and
changing the
> hyperlink style within the Word template would
affect the
> visual look of all word documents and to my
mind, this would
> be completely unsatisfactory.
>
> I hope this makes sense to programmers like
Peter and Jo.  I
> will be interested to hear your responses.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Christine
>

> At 12:49 AM 7/21/04, you wrote:
> >DBT is honoring the Word Hyperlink style, which
is
> underlined (but as
> >Christine has said, you don't want the dots 4-6
in braille).

> >You can modify Word's Hyperlink by removing the
underlining. You can
> >also change the font to Courier New (if you
have your Word
> importer set
> >up that way), but in reality DBT doesn't even
need that for the
> >Hyperlink style. If you want the Word Hyperlink
style to be
> permanently
> >changed for all future documents, make sure you
check "Add
> to template"
> >after you are done modifying Hyperlink.
> >
> >Susan
> >
> >Christine Simpson wrote on 7/20/2004, 5:42 AM:
> >
> >           Hi All,
> >
> >I have been trying out the "compinline" code
and believe that there
> >still may be an error with it.
> >
> >Some weeks ago I raised the concern about how
it was dealing
> with text.
> >Peter and Jo gave this a lot of time and that
problem seems to have
> >been solved.  However,  I note that when text
which in word is
> >formatted as a hyperlink  is imported into
DBT10.5, it is
> surrounded by
> >the compinline codes - and so it should be.
However, the problem is
> >that the underlining is being shown and so,  a
web address
> which comes
> >from word into DBT comes as:
> >

><compinline>[fts~u]www.duxburysystems.com[fte~u]<
/compinline>

> >and the web address appears in computer code
brackets with dots 4-6
> >(between the opening code and the first w) to
indicate the
> underlined text.
> >
> >Is anyone else experiencing this problem?
> >
> >Many thanks
> >
> >Christine
> >
> >* * *
> >* This message is via list duxhelp at
freelists.org.
<duxhelp-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>. You may also
> >* subscribe, unsubscribe, and set vacation mode
and other
> subscription
> >* options by visiting http://www.freelists.org.
The list archive