[duxhelp] Re: Compinline codes

  • From: "Jack Maartman" <jmaartman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxhelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:35:33 -0700

Hi all:

Let's remember that braille, is dependent on a fixed system of 64
characters, including the zero, be it space or <cr/lf>.  With this set of
paltry symbols, it has managed to perform miracles.  with the advent of
computers, and the addition of two extra dots, this list of symbols has
proliferated to 256, and yet we pretend, that braille is still a six dot
system.  If I could wave a magic wand, waive the superimposed constraints,
then DBT would be  able to treat braille in the way that it actually is now.
Joe could design custom tables incorporating all the new signs as needed. I
work a lot in a form of unicode called utf-8.  This system actually encodes
braille patterns, although every character, whether six or eight dot
consists of three eight dot signs, including the space.

Jack