[softwarelist] Re: OPW - Font list, XP vs Vista (32-bit)

  • From: Clive Bonsall <C.Bonsall@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 10:29:40 +0000

Dave Symes wrote:
In article <47D319C2.9050106@xxxxxxxx>,
   Clive Bonsall <C.Bonsall@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Interestingly, I've just noticed that in Vista it's possible to change the user account type between "standard" and "administrator". However, even tho' I had my own named account set to "administrator" it still did not give me complete freedom to make changes. Only when I switched to the default Administrator account was I able to do this ... curious!

Apparently, there are two levels of administrator accounts in Vista, a bog
standard Admin access, and a higher level Admin access.

Makes sense ... when logged on as a named user with administrator access, you can make changes, but have to *confirm* the action you are about to undertake (in a pop-up window). However, background changes (e.g. writing new information into the Lists file inside the FontList applet) don't seem to invoke the "confirm action" window and are automatically blocked. So, for the moment, the only solution is to run OPW by logging on as Administrator.

Mr P ... if you're planning some code changes to OPW to make it more Vista friendly and would like me to test them out, I'll have the Vista laptop for another 10 days or so, then I'm selling it on to a colleague and moving to a MacBook (thereafter I'll run OPW under Windows XP emulation).
--
C.B.